Luther Varsity in Southern Africa
A Place of Academic and Professional Excellence
Early Childhood Development Practitioner
PURPOSE AND RATIONALE OF THE QUALIFICATION
Purpose of the qualification:
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as an Early Childhood Development Practitioner.
An Early Childhood Development Practitioner plans and prepares early childhood activities, facilitates and mediates learning, observes and assesses the progress of children, and reflects on learning in an inclusive, play-based environment to support holistic development of children (from conception-school going) in different centre-based or non-centre based settings.
A qualified practitioner will be able to:
- Plan and prepare broad-phase learning environment and stimulating activities that meet the holistic needs of all children in centre-based or non-centre –based settings.
- Facilitate and mediate all aspects of the daily programme in a centre-based or non-centre based setting.
- Observe, assess and record each child’s progress according to the age and stage.
- Compile a report of each child’s progress.
- Maintain and promote the well- being, health, nutrition, safety and protection of children.
Rationale of the qualification:
There is vast need for early childhood development services and it is critical that the field must be served by competent practitioners. In order to meet the needs at early childhood development level, it is important to be able to identify and recognize competent early childhood practitioners who are able to work in centre-bases and non- centre-based early childhood settings.
The qualification will provide opportunities to people who wish to enter and/ or continue learning in the early childhood development field, which include the employed, under-employed but not qualified, and school leavers. Every child has the right to high-quality, holistic education and care which forms the critical foundation for further development and learning from childhood in adulthood.
LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE AND RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING
RPL for access to the Qualification: Accredited providers and approved workplaces may recognize prior learning against the relevant access requirements.
- National Certificate Vocational (NVC) at NQF Level 3.
- Any other NQF Level 3 qualification.
This qualification is made up of the following compulsory Knowledge Modules, Practical SkillsModules and Work Experience Modules totaling 131 Credits:
Knowledge Modules ; 43 Credits
Practical Skill Modules ; 43 Credits
Work experience Modules ;45 Credits
EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES
1. Plan and prepare broad-phase learning environment and stimulating activities that meet the holistic needs of all children in centre-based or non-centre –based settings.
2. Facilitate and mediate all aspects of the daily programme in centre-based or non-centre-based setting.
3. Observe, assess and record each child’s progress
4. Compile each child’s progress.
5. Maintain and promote the well-being, health, nutrition, safety and protection of children